TF: 1 (800) 711-0333
PH: 1 (250) 652-4744
Unit 201 - 10124 McDonald Park Rd.
North Saanich, B.C.V8L 5X8

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)


What is Encapsulated Floatation?
Encapsulated floatation is E.P.S. (Expanded Polystyrene) Foam that is completely encased in High Density Polyethylene Plastic and used for Floating docks and marine floating devices.
Why encapsulate the foam?
Encapsulating the floatation eliminates the breaking down of the foam, which when broken down, shows up as little white beads and flakes of foam floating in the water. Encapsulation enables the floatation to last indefinitely. The hard plastic exterior does not allow marine borers (muscles, barnacles, pile worms, etc.) to dig into and breakup the foam resulting in the loss of buoyancy. In addition the plastic exterior prevents otters and other marine life from “nesting” the raw foam. Lastly the raw exposed foam in marinas has a tendency to absorb any gas, oil and other contaminants in the water. This will result in the further break down of the foam and the retention of unwanted odors.
What size of floatation do I need for my project?

Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Ltd. has the ability to make floatation ANY size that you require. Our sales team would be happy to assist you in designing a dock with the perfect floatation plan. A general rule of thumb is:

Fresh water buoyancy: 1 cubic foot of foam = 55 LBS of lift

Ocean water buoyancy: 1 cubic foot of foam = 62 LBS of lift

What are your docks made of?

We make a wide array of floating docks. From heavy timber to lightweight residential, our docks are designed to be long lasting and durable.

We use everything from treated wood to cedar to a special environmentally sensitive laminate wood exclusive to Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Ltd. We have also built many steel and concrete floats that have both wood and concrete decks. We will always build to suit your needs.

What makes your products Enviro?

All of our floatation devices are designed and built to have no impact on the marine environment. The plastic used to protect the water from the raw foam does not breakdown or have any leeching of chemicals into the water.

Although we do make docks with treated lumber, it is only done when regulations allow. We at Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Inc. make every effort to use alternatives to treated wood when situations allow.

What should I know before I build and install a dock?
Many factors are present when designing, building and installing a dock. Size limitations for your area, materials allowed and in the instance of ocean installation the use of the Foreshore must be factored. Our sales and design team make it a point of staying up to date on all local and provincial rules and regulations so that they can help with any situations on our coasts.
What is the Foreshore?
For docks to be installed in the ocean (usually residential), a foreshore lease permit must be obtained from the government before construction and installation. Although this process is quite in-depth, we at Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Inc. have extensive experience in the application and submission of all the required paperwork. We would be quite happy to assist you with this process if it applies to you.
Why do I need a Foreshore Lease?
The foreshore lease provides the applicant with set boundaries that a floating dock/wharf can occupy. It also lays out what said structure can be used for. The lease is to regulate what is being installed along our shores and to ensure that these docks/wharfs are environmentally sensitive, conforming to local by-laws and do not encroach on others' foreshore areas.
What size of projects can Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Ltd. build?
We at Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Ltd. have built docks of every size from small residential swim docks to entire marinas.
What other services do you offer?
Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Ltd. designs and builds a wide range of steel, wood and aluminum ramps and walkways as well as large elevated walkways and approaches. Enviro Float Manufacturing (2002) Ltd. has a barge, tug boat and crane that can pile drive, do large installations and install mooring buoys and anchors. We fabricate in house all hardware used in our construction projects so that they will match the individual dock perfectly.
How can I reach Enviro Float?
Please visit our Contact Us page.
What forms of payment does Enviro Float accept?
We accept payment by Visa, MasterCard, and cheque. For customers visiting our office, we can also accept cash and debit card payments.

Mooring Buoys

What Federal regulations cover the placement of mooring buoys?

All docks and buoys are subject to the terms and conditions of the Navigable Waters Protection Act and the Private Buoy Regulations.  However, there are provisions which exempt some docks and mooring buoys from requiring Approval from the Minister.  The details of these exemptions can be found at:

Mooring buoys -

Docks and Boathouses -

How must mooring buoys be marked?

Mooring buoys must be placed and marked in compliance with the Private Buoy Regulations.  Full text at

The Private Buoy Regulations specify that buoys must also comply with the requirements set out in the Canadian Aids to Navigation (TP 968), which directs that a mooring buoy is coloured white and orange, with the orange colour covering the top one third of the buoy above the waterline.  A mooring buoy must have a yellow light, if lighted.  The light must conform to the standards and guidelines in the Canadian Aids to Navigation (TP 968).  Retroreflective material, if used, must be yellow. 
Full text at

Who can place a mooring buoy?

Any person or entity may seek to place a mooring buoy, provided the buoy meets the requirements of the Private Buoy Regulations, and the criteria within Transport Canada’s Marine Safety Management System (TP 13585) Tier II Procedure on Mooring Buoys have been followed.

Full text at
Can anyone place a buoy in front of private property?

The authority of the Navigable Waters Protection Act exists within the extent of the waterway below the High Water Mark (HWM).  The Act does not speak to the placement of mooring buoys with respect to upland property rights.

Although the NWPA does not prohibit the placement of buoys in front of private property, there may be other local, regional, or Provincial regulations that do.  It is always best to check with your local authorities before proceeding.

How can I register my buoy?

Some mooring buoys require Approval documents, and some do not.  It depends on a few factors which are listed within Transport Canada’s Marine Safety Management System (TP 13585) Tier II Procedure on Mooring Buoys.  Full text at

If a buoy meets all the criteria under Annex A of the mooring buoy policy document above, then no application is required and Transport Canada does not maintain a record of these.  If a buoy falls under Annex B of the document, then the owner must apply for an Approval under the Navigable Waters Protection Act.  The application process is free, and can be made electronically to

What other permits do I need to place a mooring buoy?
Depending on where your proposed buoy is located, there may be additional permits required from other responsible agencies.  Different Regional and Municipal governments may have different bylaws.  To find out which ones apply to you, FrontCounterBC, at or 1-877-855-3222, is a good resource to begin with.  You may also wish to check with your Regional District and City or Municipality for further permits.
Does the new Columbia-Shuswap Regional District Bylaw 900 supersede the Navigable Waters Protection Act?

No. The Navigable Waters Protection Act (NWPA) continues to apply to all bodies of water that are capable of being navigated by any type of floating vessel for transportation, recreation or commerce. The final authority to determine the navigability of a waterway rests with the Minister of Transport or his/her designated representative.  The NWPA provides for the prohibition to build works in navigable waters, unless the work, its site and plans have been approved by the Minister of Transport on such terms and conditions as he/she deems fit.  In addition, the Act provides for measures regarding removal of wreck or other obstacles to navigation and for the prohibition to throw or deposit any material in navigable waters. 

For further guidance on the NWPA, visit

Does Transport Canada enforce the new Columbia-Shuswap Regional District Bylaw 900?
No. Transport Canada administers the Navigable Waters Protection Act (NWPA) and the Canada Shipping Act 2001 (CSA).  Contact the Columbia-Shuswap Regional District for information on which agencies will enforce the new Bylaw.
Why doesn’t Transport Canada remove unlawful mooring buoys?

Under the Navigable Waters Protection Act, all unlawful works are subject to removal.  However, due to resource limitations, actions carried out by the Department are prioritized according to their degree of obstruction to navigation and the potential hazard they present to public safety. 

Transport Canada is actively involved in several multi-agency collaborative initiatives to develop long-term solutions to known areas of mooring buoy congestion and regulatory non-conformance.  The Navigable Waters Protection Program (NWPP) will offer guidance and support to local community initiatives to alleviate problem areas, such as through providing input on developing public moorage facilities, or participating in the pre-development and consultative phases of community planning and by-law development.